HOME-GROWN SUCCESS FOR
International golf course photographer Mark Alexander has made a timely return to his hometown of St Andrews by providing all the images for the official 2013 St Andrews Links Trust calendar. The dramatic A3 publication features a selection of stunning shots of the Old, New, Jubilee and Castle Courses alongside iconic views over the Swilcan Bridge and several distinctive vistas across the famous links.
The Fife-based photographer, who was also commissioned this year to shoot the celebrated Spanish resort of La Manga for its 40th anniversary and Royal Lytham & St Annes Golf Club ahead of this year’s Open Championship, said he was thrilled to be involved in the calendar project. “It was a great honour to shoot the courses for the official Links Trust calendar, but for me it was particularly special because St Andrews is my home town. I grew up there; I went to university there, so it was wonderful to do something that would hopefully capture the essence of golf at its spiritual home.”
The striking calendar has also been a commercial success with stocks already running low. “We commissioned Mark to provide us with iconic views but also some different shots of St Andrews Links,” explained Kevin Liddle, retail manager at St Andrews Links Golf Shops. “We have been delighted with the response of our customers. Mark has captured the spirit of the Home of Golf wonderfully.”
It has been a busy year for the award-winning photographer, whose work regularly appears in golf magazines such as Golf Illustrated, Golf World and Golf Digest. Indeed his images have played a key role in the build-up to both the Curtis Cup at The Nairn Golf Club and the Irish Open at Royal Portrush.
More recently he has collaborated with Golf Course Architecture magazine to produce a series of prints celebrating the art of golf course design. “We were delighted to team up with Mark,” said Toby Ingleton the magazine’s publisher. “His photography captures the very best of golf course architecture. I could stand and stare at his prints all day. They really highlight the character and charm of these wonderful courses.”
Reflecting on what has been a packed schedule of appointments around Europe, Alexander said he was looking forward to an equally busy diary next year. “There is a lot of travelling in my job, but it pays off when you see the client’s reaction to the images,” he said. “This year I have been lucky to work with some great clubs, tourist organisations and magazines, and if I can do the same next year, I will be more than happy.”
To view Alexander’s work, visit www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk
– ends –
Note to editors:
1) Mark Alexander is an award-winning golf course photographer and established journalist. His work has appeared in consumer magazines, newspapers and b2b titles.
2) Alexander is based in Fife but travels across the world shooting golf courses for resorts, architects and golf clubs.
3) In 2009, Alexander picked up Creativefife’s Best Commercial Photograph award for a portfolio of images depicting Turnberry’s Ailsa course.
4) The St Andrews Links Trust calendar features a selection of stunning shots of the Old, New, Jubilee and Castle Courses. Each page also contains an interesting fact about the course featured that month. For more information visit www.standrews.org.uk/shop/Golf-Gifts-Gift-Packs/2013-CALENDAR-63103/BLACK-GOLD.aspx
5) For more information about the Golf Course Architecture prints, visit www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/prints
6) For more information about Mark Alexander, visit www.markalexanderphotography.co.uk.